RECRUITMENT AT WEST COAST RAILWAYS
Current opportunities with West Coast Railways
We require additional stewards to work either full time or part time on board The Jacobite running from Fort William to Mallaig.
Seasonal Steward Onboard The Jacobite Steam Train Service
Position: Steward (Full and Part Time Opportunities), all age groups are welcome to apply.
Location: Fort William
Reports to: Train Manager
Rate of Pay: £12/hour
Working Times: 9:00 – 16:30 (3rd April to 27th October 2023) or 12:00 – 19:30 (1st May to 29th September 2023).
Described as the greatest railway journey in the world, this 84 mile round trip takes you past a list of impressive extremes from the highest mountain in Britain, Ben Nevis to the deepest seawater loch in Europe, Loch Nevis!
As a Steward onboard The Jacobite, you will be an essential part of the guest experience, ensuring that passengers enjoy a memorable and comfortable journey through the stunning Scottish Highlands. Your primary responsibility will be to provide outstanding customer service, offering hospitality and assistance to passengers during their travel on the historic steam train.
- Passenger Assistance:
- Greet passengers warmly upon boarding and provide a friendly and professional presence throughout the journey.
- Assist passengers in finding their seats and provide any necessary information about the train journey, safety protocols, and onboard amenities.
- Safety and Emergency Procedures:
- Familiarize passengers with safety protocols, including emergency exits, first aid kits, and evacuation procedures.
- Remain vigilant during the journey to promptly address any safety concerns or incidents that may arise.
- Train Presentation:
- Maintain the cleanliness and tidiness of passenger areas, including seating areas, restrooms, and dining facilities.
- Ensure that the train's interior is well-presented and adheres to the high standards set by the Jacobite Steam Train Service.
- Information and Communication:
- Keep passengers informed about the train's route, upcoming landmarks, and points of interest along the journey.
- Provide announcements and updates regarding any schedule changes or delays.
- Handle passenger inquiries, complaints, or issues in a calm and professional manner.
- Resolve conflicts or challenges that may arise among passengers to maintain a harmonious environment onboard.
- Safety Compliance:
- Adhere to all safety guidelines, company policies, and industry regulations while carrying out your duties.
- Follow the instructions of the Train Manager and cooperate with other onboard staff members.
- Collaborate effectively with other onboard staff, including train drivers, conductors, and catering personnel, to ensure a smooth and seamless journey for passengers.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Previous experience in hospitality, customer service, or related fields is preferred.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and remain composed under pressure.
- Flexibility in working hours, as the job may require evening and weekend shifts.
- Strong problem-solving abilities and a proactive approach to passenger satisfaction.
- Physical fitness to move around the train and attend to passengers' needs.
- Passion for the history and beauty of the Scottish Highlands and a willingness to share knowledge with passengers.
- Familiarity with safety procedures and emergency protocols is an advantage.
Note: The duties and responsibilities outlined in this job description are intended to provide an overview of the role of a Steward onboard the Jacobite Steam Train Service and may be subject to change or modification as per operational requirements.
Full training will be given.
Please send us your CV along with a covering letter to email@example.com.
We do not have any further specific positions available at the moment, however we are always interested to hear from experienced people interested in working for West Coast Railways, either on the operational side or within our maintenance depot.
Further Information - or to submit an application
Please feel free to send us your CV along with a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.